Dear Shuang Wen School Families:
Welcome back to the new school year of 2016-2017. As the Chinese English Dual Language and Dual Culture public school in New York City, we are proud to share with you that we were recognized by New York State Department of Education as Reward School again in 2016-2017 school year. This is our fourth year receiving this honor. Kudos to all our teachers, staff and dedicated parents! Without your support, we would not have achieved such high performance. Thank you!
Attached with this letter, you will find our school calendar for this school year. For new Shuang Wen School Parents, we will have a meeting in Library, September 14, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. Please come join us and get to know each other and our school.
For information and communication with teachers and school staff, there are many communication channels available. Here are some of the easy methods for getting to know our school, teachers, and keeping track of your children’s progress:
- School website. Our official school website is www.ps184m.org. Please set it as one of your favorites for easy access. There will be many announcements and pertinent information available.
- Monthly Shuang Wen School Newsletter
- Homework Folder (Grades Pre-K to 5), School Planner and Engrade (Grades 6-8)
- New York City Department of Education “NYC School Account”. Detail information about creating your personal account, please see the link: http://schools.nyc.gov/RulesPolicies/StudentRecords/NYCschools.htm
- Contact our caring Parent Coordinator, Ms. Alice Ju McCabe at MJu2@schools.nyc.gov, or telephone number 212-602-9700, extension 1106 for any question or concern.
This school year, there are many new and existing programs at Shuang Wen School.
- Chinese English Dual Language Program from Kindergarten to 6th grade.
- Regents (High School level) courses for 7th and 8th grade students in Math (Integrated Algebra I) and Science (Living Environment). Qualified students can take up to two Regents courses and exams by the end of 8th grade.
- Morning and Afternoon small group tutoring (AIS program). Teachers will contact eligible students and parents for tutoring time and sessions.
- Expanded In-house After School Programs:
- NYC DoE SHSI-DREAM Institute – Specialized High School Institute and the DREAM Intensive prep program for eligible Title I students in grades 7 and 8.
- APEX for Youth – DYCD sponsored After School Program for students in Grades 6-8.
- Mencius Afterschool Chinese & Culture Arts (MACCA) – After School program that focus on Chinese language acquisition and culture learning.
- Eternity 1 of New York – After school homework assistance across all subject areas in English only.
In addition to the school supply list you’ve received from each grade, this year we also ask all middle school students to pay $5.00 for their school planner, so they can be more organized with their academic life. Please only bring in the school supplies following teacher’s designated time line. Thank you for your support and cooperation.
Below are the procedures for the beginning of school: (No school on September 12, 2016)
SCHOOL TIME: 8:20 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
September 8, 9 and 13, 2016
MORNING LINE UP
Pre K, K: Parents will drop off their children in the classroom then leave. Pre K parents shall drop off and pick up their children following their designated schedule. Starting Wednesday, September 14, 2016, parents must drop off their children in the lobby in the morning. Students will be directed to go to the lunchroom themselves and wait for their teachers to pick them up.
Students in Grade 1, 2, 3: Line up in the cafeteria at their designated locations by LINE UP signs posted on Breakfast/Lunch Table by grade and class.
Students in Grades 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 line up in the schoolyard as designated by LINE UP signs.
LUNCH (Every student must fill out school lunch form either online or by paper form)
Pre K: 10:35 a.m. – 11:25 a.m. (In the classrooms)
K-2: 10:35 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.
3-5: 11:25 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
6-8: 12:15 p.m. – 01:05 p.m.
AFTERNOON DISMISSAL PROCEDURE (Early dismissal will use the same exits)
September 8 and 9, 2016
Pre-K will follow teacher’s dismissal schedules on the first two days of school.
Kindergarten will have early dismissal on September 8th at 1:10 p.m. Full day schedule after that.
All other students will have dismissal at 2:40 p.m. No Afterschool Programs on 9/8 and 9/9.
Beginning Tuesday, September 13, 2016
For students not attending In-house Afterschool Programs:
Grade K, 1, 5: Classes exit from Montgomery Street Exit. Classes lineup on the sidewalk of Montgomery Street.
Grades Pre-K, 2, 3, 4: Classes exit from Main Entrance. Classes lineup on the sidewalk of Cherry Street.
Grades 6, 7, 8: Classes exit from Cafeteria Exit, next to the handball court of Cherry Clinton Playground.
All students not picked up at dismissal will be brought to the Main Office.
Sibling pickups must approach the dismissal points of a sibling outside of the building.
Finally, we will have our expedited PA election on September 22, 2016 at 4:30 p.m. and we strongly encourage your participation. On the same day, we will also have our Open School Night from 5:30 PM. to 7:00 PM. Our teachers will share our instructional goals and focus, the core curriculum and the academic expectations. Please check the “Parent’s Handbook” on our school website for additional information regarding procedures and protocols. I am looking forward to a wonderful and fulfilling school year with you and your children
Iris Y. Chiu
歡迎返校！雙文學校是紐約市中英雙語和雙文化的公立學校，2016 - 2017新學年開始，我們很榮幸能與大家分享，在2016至2017學年我們又榮獲紐約州教育局頒發《獎賞學校》殊榮。這是我們連續四年榮獲這項榮譽。所有榮譽都屬於我們的老師、工作人員和盡心盡力的父母！沒有您們的支持，我們就不會取得如此高的成就。謝謝！
─紐約市教育局SHSI-DREAM夢想課程 - 專門為符合條件的七、八年級學生提供的特殊高中考試密集預備課程。
─孟藝中文課後班（MACCA） - 專注於學習中文和中國文化。
─明智補習社 – 全英語課程，專注於輔導家庭作業。
預幼班：上午10時35分 - 上午11時25分（在教室裡）
幼稚班至二年級：上午10時35分 - 上午11時25分
三年級至五年級：上午11時25分 - 下午12時15分
六年級至八年級：下午12時15分 - 下午1時05分